Wednesday 13 May 2009

Impact of severe deconditioning on muscle biology

Although I've put a link up to this information elsewhere, I reckon that it's important to put this info in full view.

Taken from: WAGENMAKERSC, ANTON J. M. (1999), 'Chronic fatigue syndrome: the physiology of people on the low end of the spectrum of physical activity?' Clinical Science 97, (pp.611–613) (link)

Severe deconditioning affects the blood flow to the muscles:

"...deconditioning plays an important, and so far under-appreciated, role in the abnormal physiology that is seen in CFS patients. Saltin et al. [9] have shown that 20 days of bed rest by healthy subjects reduced cardiac output and oxygen delivery to working muscles by 15–20%. Muscle blood flow during and following exercise is also reduced in elderly subjects [10]. This has, in part, been explained by a reduced vasodilatory capacity and in part by the decreased capillarization, which again is a consequence of the reduction in physical activity and deconditioning that are seen during ageing [10]. The development of abnormal autonomic or peripheral control of muscle blood flow is not limited to CFS patients [7,11] but also occurs in healthy subjects in the adaptation period to acute and long-term deconditioning."

Severe deconditioning adversely affects the biology of muscle and its ability to metabolise exertion:

".... some, but not all, patients with CFS show a severe loss of mitochondria. Six of the patients with the lowest mitochondrial activities performed a graded incremental exercise test on a cycle ergometer and had a dramatically reduced exercise capacity (maximal work rate 60–120 W; 20–50% of the normal controls). They nevertheless achieved heart rates and blood lactate concentrations normally found with maximal exercise [12,13]. These data indicate that these patients showed a metabolic adaptation to severe deconditioning, and that the adaptation to deconditioning may be as large as, but the reverse of that reported in trained subjects [14,15]. This implies that these patients experience the stress of maximal exercise during normal daily activities (20–80 W) and this again provides a reason to avoid exercise, so that they spiral down in a vicious circle of inactivity and exercise intolerance [12].

"One of the consequences of low mitochondrial density is a reduced oxidative capacity. This again leads to a reduced rate of resynthesis of creatine phosphate following high-intensity exercise [16]."


So, reduced blood flow to muscles, loss of mitochondira and the reduction in resynthesis of creatine phosphate (which is probably a consequence of the first 2 factors) all serve to cause deconditioned muscle to be fast fatiguing (i.e. significantly reduced endurance capacity) and slow recovering (i.e. requiring significantly longer to refuel and repair).

For further contextual information about creatine phosphate and its role in the biology of muscle fuelling and refuelling see: Link

2 comments:

  1. This is interesting. Over a period of 9-12 years, my postural/spinal/core muscles have changed a lot. They are extremely deconditioned, in my opinion. I think it stems from an injury in 2000 and then movement avoidance and poor posture led to the deconditioning. Working after college led to repetitive strain, which also contributed. I spent a lot of time lying down to help relax the tight, injured tissue, but I think things got worse. I have not been aggressive with core strengthening. I was motivated to exercise before the pain problems started, but the pain emerged and led me to stop exercise, which made it hurt more. I don't know if I have chronic fatigue syndrome, but I think being tired all the time and having no motivation affected my posture and increased the time I spent lying down over the past several years. I did have a blood titer for Epstein-Barr when I was in school for health care training, and I am curious if there's something to CFS. I haven't gone to a naturopath to talk about it yet. I just know that the tissue in my thorax/back/spinal area, arms, and hands is not normal. It's not what it used to be. It feels thin and dead, with significant scar tissue. I could see how the metabolism of the tissue could have changed. Thanks for this information. I will have to find a health care provider with a clue and investigate this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad the information was helpful Kelli. Good luck in finding a way forward.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.