Saturday 9 May 2009

7 Minutes

I'm finally up to 7 minutes on the exercise bike, every other day (or there abouts). Initially, I could barely manage 3 minutes without my hip flexors and glutes aching like crazy. Today was the 3rd time this week I've done 7 minutes and I made sure I stretched out my hips (piriformis and psoas stretches) afterwards before applying heat. This seems to be the key - stretching and heat. The anticipated aching hips haven't been too bad at all this afternoon.

Also managed 3 x 10 reps wall squats (link) and 2 x 7 reps single-leg calf raises (link).

Just getting back to using the theraband to strengthen glutes and hips. Managed 8 reps in all directions on both legs [i.e. hip abduction (link), hip adduction, hip extension (link) and hip flexion]

Today, my shoulder girdle is aching, tired and strained. Not sure my muscles can manage the physio exercise demands, unfortunately. According to one website, I need to "Pay attention to pain. This is a difficult one. Pain can mean that the painful area is damaged and you should not move it until it has healed more, but it can also be much less important. If your joint is stiff, you will need to stretch it and cause some pain if it is to loosen up.Good pain is not too severe and settles down quickly. Bad pain is severe and takes a long time to settle down after. If you cause pain on exercise, and you may have to to succeed, make sure it is good pain." http://www.thephysiotherapysite.co.uk/physiotherapy/exercise/exercise-advice

My shoulders have 'bad pain' tonight....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.