Friday 1 March 2013

Positive Shift & Back at the Gym

Just back from the gym and feeling kinda tired today but yesterday was a different story.

It's felt like a really positive week. After the 50 length swim on Tuesday, I recovered well and didn't feel too tired on Wednesday. I was very surprised and extremely pleased. Yesterday, I thought I'd see how I'd cope with a longer drive to see some birds. It was an hour away and cold weather but I managed really well and, at one point, was flooded with a sudden feeling of freedom. It's an experience I've not really had before. I was struck with the reality that I was an hour away from home, I was enjoying the birds and I wasn't aching to leave or drained or struggling to cope. I felt free to be there. I felt like I'd escaped a 'prison' for the day although that's not consciously how I experience my home!

I guess my life shrank dramatically when I became so ill. For 8 years I was barely able to cope with the simple things of life. I couldn't travel far. Then for the last 4 years, it's been hard work to try to rebuild all my muscles and stamina and manage the ongoing injuries and limitations. In every way, I've felt restricted. Yesterday, I felt like I was breaking free. Life was suddenly opening up a little for me. My choices are widening. I could breath and see beyond my living room! It felt fantastic and I hope those experiences increase in frequency now.

Back to today. I woke up tired....which isn't surprising really. I didn't sleep well and yesterday I was out in the cold for a long time.

I tried to do a normal gym set today but also take care of my abdominal muscles. I'm not sure I achieved the latter.

  • 5 mins exercise bike (difficulty level 8)
  • Hip/lower back stretches
  • Glute bridges (10 secs hold) 3 reps then quad stretches
  • Glute bridges 10kg dumbbell across hips 10 reps, 10 sec hold. 
  • Press ups-plus (at 45 deg angle) 2 x 10 reps. 
  • Press-ups on floor (knees on floor) 2 x 10 reps 
  • Full Press-ups with hands placed on raised step block 2 x 4 reps (very hard!)
  • Right Hip adduction and extension using cable weights 6kg 12 reps, 8kg 2 x 10 reps
  • Seated rows 10 kg 10 reps; 12kg 2 x 10 reps; vertical flies 4kg 2 x 10 reps.
  • Wobble board 4 mins.
  • Chest fly with cable weights 4kg 2 x 10 reps.
  • Trunk twist using cable weights 4kg 10 reps (first time reintroducing this exercise after ab strain)
  • Metal bar rotation 2 x 10 reps (new exercise basically lifting a metal bar either side of body - base of bar is attached to floor and articulated)
  • Tricep extensions using cable/rope 6kg 10 reps, 8kg10 reps. 
  • Combo exercise, pulling cable weight from floor, across body, stretching up to other side 6kg 10 reps.(reintroduced exercise after ab strain)
  • 5 mins on treadmill - just wanted to see if right hip could cope. Ran about 2 mins.
  •  Combo lateral/front shoulder raises whilst sitting on exercise ball 3kg 10 reps
  • Lying on the floor, starting with elbows by my side, arms bent 90 degs, then pushing weight upwards against gravity, straightening the arm (modified front raise) 5kg 2 x 10 reps

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.