Friday 19 July 2013

Ménière's Diagnosis, Good Walks & The Usual

The inner ear problems persist (now 3 weeks). It's still my hearing which is worst affected and predominantly on the left side. Sound is distorted, tinny and resonating, with a loss of low frequency hearing, and background ringing (tinnitus). The right ear seems only mildly affected. I decided to visit the GP this week and she confirmed that it's probably Ménière's Disease (Link)That seems to be just a fancy way of saying recurring inner ear problems with no known cause or cure. Anyway, I'll give it another 2 weeks and if my hearing hasn't improved, I'll head to Boots and get a hearing test done.

I am thoroughly enjoying this hot, sunny weather (although the muggy nights aren't so pleasant). I got out for a couple of really nice walks over the weekend, making the most of the mornings and then taking refuge inside through the hottest part of the day. I'd be out/walking for about a couple of hours, the only issue really being my right hip. That hurt for the majority of the walk (getting worse the longer I went on).

Tuesday, I did my usual swim. 54 lengths (1350km). I would have gone on but got sudden, rigid cramp in my left foot on length 55 and that put a stop to everything. Generally, it didn't feel like an easy swim. I couldn't seem to get into a rhythm and felt hassled by another swimmer intent on ignoring everyone else's needs. I have been trying to introduce front crawl and, this week, every 10th length was front crawl, breathing to the left (can't breath to the right because I don't have the range of motion necessary in my left shoulder).

My energy levels felt good after the swim, on Wednesday and Thursday. Back at the gym today. I've decided to stop the running again. It doesn't do my right hip any good - I've been taking painkillers more regularly at night for essentially right pudendal nerve pain since reintroducing it.

Today's Gym Set:
  • 15 mins exercise bike (difficulty level 7 (10 mins), level 8 (5 mins))
  • Hip/lower back stretches
  • Glute bridges (10 secs hold) 3 reps then quad stretches
  • Glute bridges 10kg dumbbell across hips 10 reps, 10 sec hold. 
  • Single leg glute bridges 10 reps, 5 secs hold
  • Press ups-plus (at 45 deg angle) 2 x 10 reps. 
  • Press-ups on floor (knees on floor) 2 x 10 reps
  • Right Hip adduction and extension using cable weights 6kg 12 reps, 8kg 10 reps.
  • Seated rows 8 kg 12 reps, 10 kg 10 reps (continuing gentle re-introduction after right ab strain). Vertical flies 4kg 2 x 10 reps.
  • Chest fly with cable weights 4kg 2 x 10 reps.
  • Trunk twist using cable weights 3.7kg 10 reps, 5.4kg 10 reps (gentle re-intro after right ab strain)
  • Rope pulsing 4 sets to exhaustion.
  • Basket ball exercise (throwing a weight ball at a target from standing position) 5kg 3 x 15 reps, 2 x 20 reps; 6kg 2 x 15 reps (increased weight as it felt easier and seems to be helping upper body strength).
  • Overhead basket ball exercise (throwing a weight ball, from above my head, at a target) 3kg 3x10 reps 
  • Wobble board rotation right/left (re-introduced for inner ear rehab).
This afternoon, I have the usual right butt (pudendal nerve) discomfort and feel a little tired. Hormones are kicking in again too - bad stomach cramps today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.