Friday 12 July 2013

Ears, 1 Mile Swim & 2km Run/Walk

My inner ear condition is still just as bad. The worst area affected is my hearing, especially in my left ear. Noises sound tinny, out of tune and as though the notes have separated, often causing a ringing sensation. At times, people speaking sound as though they are communicating through a snorkel, producing a burbling, distorted hearing experience. Overall, my hearing is hypersensitive but with the sensation of blocked ears. Nerves in my ears feel raw - any sound has the same sensation as someone scraping fingernails down a blackboard. Basically, the only time it doesn't feel like my nerves are being shredded is when there's silence.

Since Tuesday, I've had brief episodes of mild vertigo but nothing too incapacitating.

So, 2 weeks of this so far. I've made an appointment with the docs for next Tuesday although I doubt there's anything anyone can do. Still, it's worth letting them know this is the 4th recurrence in 2.5 years.

I had a good swim on Tuesday. The pool was pretty empty which always helps. I pushed through to do 64 lengths (1 mile) in just under an hour, which is only the second time I've managed to swim that far. The last 10 lengths were hard going and I was managing various cramping muscles, a sore right wrist and sore right ankle. Afterwards, I felt the most relaxed and relieved I've felt in a couple of weeks. Swimming really does help to reduce my general anxiety levels.

Wednesday and Thursday were quiet days. I think the symptoms of the inner ear condition are quite tiring to my brain so I've been sleeping pretty well this week without needing to do too much during the day. In fact, yesterday, I really just wanted to sit still, inside, without any TV/noise and just let my ears/head rest.

Today, I was back at the gym. I wanted to have another go at the 2km run/walk to see how my right hip is doing. I really enjoy the chance to run but the hip isn't any better. After just 1 minute of running, the leg goes pretty numb and coordinating my right ankle/foot feels awkward. My hip is obviously banging against a nerve somewhere and the biomechanics aren't quite right. I had some pain in the right butt and right upper/inner thigh, inner knee and outer ankle.

The rest of today's gym set:

  • 10 mins exercise bike (difficulty level 7 - legs felt tired so reduced level from 8 to 7)
  • Hip/lower back stretches
  • Glute bridges (10 secs hold) 3 reps then quad stretches
  • Glute bridges 10kg dumbbell across hips 10 reps, 10 sec hold. 
  • Single leg glute bridges 10 reps, 5 secs hold
  • Press ups-plus (at 45 deg angle) 2 x 10 reps. 
  • Press-ups on floor (knees on floor) 2 x 10 reps
  • Right Hip adduction and extension using cable weights 6kg 12 reps, 8kg 10 reps.
  • Seated rows 8 kg 10 reps (gentle re-introduction after right ab strain). Vertical flies 4kg 2 x 10 reps.
  • 2km run/walk treadmill (walk 90 secs, 6.5 km/hr; run 2min, 9.5 km/hr) in 14:30 mins 
  • Chest fly with cable weights 4kg 2 x 10 reps.
  • Trunk twist using cable weights 5.4kg 10 reps (gentle re-intro after right ab strain)
  • Rope pulsing 4 sets to exhaustion.
  • Basket ball exercise (throwing a weight ball at a target from standing position) 5kg 4 x 15 reps
  • Overhead basket ball exercise (throwing a weight ball, from above my head, at a target) 3kg 3x10 reps 
  • Combo lateral/front shoulder raises whilst sitting on exercise ball 3kg 10 reps
Overall, I was trying to avoid causing any lower back or abdominal strains. I just wanted a "clean" session.

I am now looking into starting Pilates. From what I understand, the body is basically made up of long and short muscles. The long muscles (like biceps, quads etc) are involved in movement, whilst the short muscles (like those found within the core, around the spine, through the hip joints etc) are involved in stabilisation. During the first 6 months of my rehab, all of my daily physiotherapy exercises were based around Pilates and addressed small muscle weakness. However, given that I keep re-injuring muscles in my abdomen and lower back and that my hip still isn't right, I am thinking I need to revisit the small muscle strengthening. 

I've now been doing my weekly gym session for 2.5 years so I may drop that for 6 months or so in favour of a Pilates class. I'll see....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.