Friday 8 February 2013

Antibiotics, Right Ab, 1km Swim

Finally went to the docs on Monday about the ongoing sinus congestion and various other symptoms. Got started on the antibiotics (Doxycycline) for the sinuses and will finish them this Sunday. They seem to make me very sleepy/tired so I'm tending to take them at lunchtime so I at least get the morning when I don't feel hungover! Once I've finished that stuff, I'll get to the hospital for a barrage of blood tests for thyroid, hormones, cholesterol, liver etc etc.

Tuesday was my usual pool day. I felt good and went for the 40 lengths, 1km (35 mins). I wasn't aware of any particular right abdominal pain during my swim but once showered/changed it recurred (grrrr!). However, I felt really pleased with the swim and didn't feel utterly drained the following day.

Today, back at the gym:
  • 15 mins exercise bike (difficulty level 8)
  • Hip/lower back stretches
  • Glute bridges (10 secs hold) 3 reps then quad stretches
  • Glute bridges 10kg dumbbell across hips 10 reps, 10 sec hold. 
  • Press ups-plus (at 45 deg angle) 2 x 10 reps. 
  • Press-ups on floor (knees on floor) 10 reps 
  • Full Press-ups with hands placed on raised step block 2 x 5 reps (very hard!)
  • Right Hip adduction and extension using cable weights 6kg 2 x 12 reps, 8kg 2 x 10 reps
  • Seated rows 10 kg 10 reps; 12kg 2 x 10 reps; vertical flies 4kg 2 x 10 reps.
  • Wobble board 4 mins, 5 squats.
  • Chest fly with cable weights 4kg 3 x 10 reps.
  • Ab Crunches 2 x 10 reps
  • Medicine ball Russian twist exercise (5kg) 2 x 10 reps
  • Tricep extensions using cable/rope 8kg 2x10 reps.
  • Combo lateral/front shoulder raises whilst sitting on exercise ball 3kg 2 x 10 reps
  • Lying on the floor, starting with elbows by my side, arms bent 90 degs, then pushing weight upwards against gravity, straightening the arm (modified front raise) 5kg 2 x 10 reps 
The right abdominal/mid back discomfort is still there. I don't particularly feel it when doing exercises - I'm just aware of the discomfort afterwards. Having said that, the seated rows do put pressure on it so I'm very careful then. Who knows what the injury is....!?

I am trying to work up to being able to do full press-ups. I can now do the knee press-ups easily. I've progressed to placing my hands on the raised step block and doing a full press-up but I can only manage 3 good ones and 2 'ok' ones before my muscles fail. I guess it'll improve.

This afternoon, I postponed taking my antibiotics until teatime (4pm) so that I could get out birding after lunch. Thoroughly enjoyed that and didn't feel too drained from the gym (tired but ok). If only I could get rid of the right ab, right hip and left shoulder problems, I'd be away....!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.