Saturday 14 July 2012

Right hip problems & A better week

Spotted Flycatcher (one of a pair nesting locally this summer)
Ok, so I had better start with a word about Andy last Sunday. I thought he did fantastically well. For the first set and a half it looked like he might just pull off the win. He rose to the occasion, played aggressive, thoughtful tennis and put his heart and soul into it. Federer, however, was just too good. When it counted, he was able to play sublime tennis. I don't suppose there was a dry eye in the house during Andy's closing speech and it was hard not to focus the admiration and celebration on the vanquished rather than the victor. It was, after all, the best a British man has done at Wimbledon for 74 years! Wonderful stuff Andy!

For me, it's been a better week in terms of energy. I wasn't totally wiped out after last week's gym session. I had a mildly stiff left calve and the usual right hip discomfort but all in all, it was 'back to normal' thankfully.

This week's gym set:
  • 3 mins walking to warm up (there weren't any bikes free)
  • Hip/lower back stretches
  • Glute bridges (10 secs hold) 3 reps then with 6kg dumbbell across hips 10 reps, 10 sec hold. 5 single leg glute bridges (each leg), 5 sec hold each.
  • Easy Press ups 10 reps on hands and knees (didn't have access to where I normally do the press ups)
  • Run on treadmill (2km at 9.5km/hr in 12:50 mins)
  • Seated rows 10 kg 3 x 10 reps.
  • Wobble board 4 mins (5 squats)
  • Trunk twist using cable weights 6kg 3 x 10 reps 
  • Chest fly with cable weights 4kg 3 x 10 reps
  • Tricep extensions using cable/rope 8kg 3 x 10 reps 
  • Side slides using cable weight (for oblique muscles) 8kg 2 x 10 reps
  • Combo lateral/front shoulder raises whilst sitting on exercise ball 4kg 4 x 5 reps, 3kg 10 reps
  • Lying on the floor, starting with elbows by my side, arms bent 90 degs, then pushing weight upwards against gravity, straightening the arm (modified front raise) 4kg 3 x 10 reps.
  • Reverse abs crunches 10 reps, Plank 2 x 30 sec hold
  • Stretching: hips/lower back, hamstrings and chest/pecs/lats.

Generally, I felt like I didn't have much stamina this week. When I got to 1km on the run, I wasn't sure I was going to manage the next 1km. It was really hard going. Doing the weights, the first 8 reps were fine but the last 2 were often a struggle and in some cases I lost 'form'. I've no idea why my endurance was so low but anyway, I was pleased to achieve what I did.

When I left the gym, I felt good. I'd had some mild pain through my right hip when running (and it had actually been aching when I woke up that morning) but otherwise I was fine. I iced my right butt/hip through lunch as I could begin to feel the pain kicking in. I felt tired through the afternoon but by evening, I felt alert and fine again. I took painkillers for my right hip before bed.

Last night, I dreamt I went to an old outdoor, tennis court. Like the ones you find in parks - often run down and a little mossy. I had my old tennis racket but I'd bought some new balls. And, I started to just hit forehands across the net. Soon, children came to play and I began to knock up with them. I didn't have the energy to move much, and my shots lacked skill, but I enjoyed hitting the ball when it came to me. As the dream progressed the courts filled with people/children and it became clear there was a coaching session going on. I had to leave. I woke up from that dream this morning with the feeling and sense of joy of being able to play tennis again! I got out of bed and my right hip gave way on me. As ever, no idea what's wrong with it but it's painful and difficult to walk on. I might have to bite the bullet and head to the docs.

Of course, the disappointment of the right hip problems is magnified today with the longing of wanting to play tennis/sports again (writing that causes tears to well up). I love sport. I used to play tennis to a pretty high standard as a youngster/teenager. I played just below County level, going to two hour indoor coaching sessions once a week and matches at weekends. My sister and I used to always knock a ball around in the holidays and we'd talked about maybe trying that gently this summer....

We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.