Saturday 21 July 2012

Physio Attempt & Another 2km

I apologise in advance if this post is poorly written etc. My head feels drained and thinking clearly is something of a challenge.

After last week's gym session, I decided I needed to take action regarding my right hip. It has improved but at the same time, it's still a daily problem. It's a significant limiting factor. I also realised that I can't deny any longer that the post-exercise fatigue and general daily exhaustion is what's holding me back from making real progress. Every week, I hope it'll get better. Every month that ticks by, I hope that I might have improved my resources by even a small amount. I have to admit that, on balance, they haven't improved anywhere near enough. If I'm honest, I feel pretty rubbish most days. Most days, I don't have enough energy to do even the simple things. I push against that. I dissociate it. As I've said before, if I waited until I felt up to doing the things I enjoy, I'd spend my life sitting and waiting. Often, it's a case of taking a couple of paracetamol, dissociating from how cr*p I feel, and then doing the thing I enjoy (mostly birding)....and worrying about the cost later.

Anyway....so, I booked an appointment with a private physio to get some advice on my right hip. Unfortunately, it didn't work out. Someone, somewhere had made a clerical error and I was booked in to see the chap but no-one actually knew where he was. No-one even had a phone number for him. They apologised etc etc...and I went away to think about it...not sure if I'll try again or just head to the GP (NHS). My plan was to get it properly assessed, go to my GP fully armed and then tackle both the hip and fatigue at the same time. We shall see.

This week's gym set. It was all a bit of an effort this week - I felt tired/washed out all week, including when I woke up on Friday to head to the gym. The 2km run isn't getting any easier. It always takes maximum concentration/perseverance. Everything in me just wants to stop.This week it definitely felt like I was flogging a dead horse.
  • 5 mins exercise bike
  • Hip/lower back stretches
  • Glute bridges (10 secs hold) 3 reps then with 7kg dumbbell across hips 10 reps, 10 sec hold. 5 single leg glute bridges (each leg), 5 sec hold each.
  • Press ups-plus (at 45 deg angle) 2 x 10 reps
  • Run on treadmill (2km at 9.5km/hr in 12:45 mins)
  • Seated rows 10 kg 3 x 10 reps.
  • Wobble board 4 mins (5 squats)
  • Trunk twist using cable weights 6kg 3 x 10 reps 
  • Chest fly with cable weights 4kg 2 x 10 reps, 6kg 10 reps
  • Tricep extensions using cable/rope 8kg 4 x 10 reps 
  • Side slides using cable weight (for oblique muscles) 8kg 2 x 10 reps
  • Combo lateral/front shoulder raises whilst sitting on exercise ball 4kg 2 x 5 reps, 3kg 10 reps
  • Lying on the floor, starting with elbows by my side, arms bent 90 degs, then pushing weight upwards against gravity, straightening the arm (modified front raise) 4kg 3 x 10 reps.
  • Stretching: hips/lower back, hamstrings and chest/pecs/lats.
The right hip pain/ache kicked in after lunch. I took painkillers again last night to be able to sleep. I felt tired after lunch yesterday but, by tea-time, I'd rallied and felt fine/alert. Actually, I felt better yesterday evening than I have all week?!? Today, I've felt tired/washed out/headachy. Took paracetamol this morning cos I just couldn't be bothered to deal with the headache and hip ache.

I suppose the next step is an appointment at the GP....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.