Friday 21 June 2013

Swim & Gym + Still Managing Lower Back

I was very pleased to manage another Tuesday swim and a gym session today. I was tired after last Friday's session but managed to get out birding on Saturday and coped well. My lower back has needed managing all week and is still tender/sore. I completed 52 lengths (1300 metres) at the pool on Tuesday and that felt soothing to my back and I recovered pretty well from it on Wednesday. I was tired yesterday and was fairly inactive. Back at the gym today:
  • 8 mins exercise bike (difficulty level 7 - legs felt tired so reduced level from 8 to 7)
  • Hip/lower back stretches
  • Glute bridges (10 secs hold) 3 reps then quad stretches
  • Glute bridges 10kg dumbbell across hips 10 reps, 5 sec hold. (only did 5 sec hold due to lower back strain. I left out the single leg glute bridges because I know they aggravate the strain)
  • Press ups-plus (at 45 deg angle) 2 x 10 reps. 
  • Press-ups on floor (knees on floor) 2 x 10 reps
  • Right Hip adduction and extension using cable weights 6kg 10 reps, 8kg 10 reps.
  • Seated rows 10 kg 2 x 10 reps, 12kg 10 reps, 14kg 5 reps (and felt my right ab give a little so stopped!); vertical flies 4kg 2 x 10 reps.
  • Chest fly with cable weights 4kg 2 x 10 reps.
  • Trunk twist using cable weights 5.4kg 10 reps, 7.6kg 10 reps
  • Rope pulsing (new exercise on new gym equipment, holding 2 heavy ropes, laid on the floor, and making them pulse) 3 sets to exhaustion.
  • Basket ball exercise (throwing a weight ball at a target from squat position) 4kg 10 reps, 5kg 3 x 15 reps
  • Overhead basket ball exercise (throwing a weight ball, from above my head, at a target) 3kg 3x10 reps (I made sure I braced my abs and didn't overextend my lower back, which is what made the lower back strain worse last week after the "plank and pull" exercise)
  • Combo lateral/front shoulder raises whilst sitting on exercise ball 3kg 10 reps
  • Lying on the floor, starting with elbows by my side, arms bent 90 degs, then pushing weight upwards against gravity, straightening the arm (modified front raise) 5kg 10 reps 
I left out the "plank and pull" exercise because I know that's where I strained my lower back last week. I made sure I kept stretching out my right neck after upper body work. 

I feel tired this afternoon but that's not unusual...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.