Friday 27 April 2012

Plugging away at the gym

Sedge Warbler
I've been a bit slack with the blog over the past couple of weeks. I guess it's mostly due to there being very little change. Just a case of plugging away at the gym work.

Had a good gym session on Friday 20th April:
  • The exercise bikes were broken so skipped that
  • Hip/lower back stretches
  • Glute bridges (10 secs hold) 3 reps then with 6kg dumbbell across hips 10 reps, 10 sec hold
  • Press ups (plus) (at 45 deg angle) 2 x 8 reps
  • 2km run/walk in 15 mins
  • Seated rows 8kg 10 reps (kept arms extended so just worked scapular muscles), 8kg 10 reps, 10 kg 2 x 10 reps.
  • Tricep extensions using cable/rope 6kg 2 x 10 reps
  • Wobble board 4 mins (5 squats)
  • Trunk twist using cable weights 4kg 2 x 10 reps 
  • Chest fly with cable (2kg 2 x 10 reps)
  • Bicep curls (4kg 10 reps)
  • Combo lateral/front shoulder raises whilst sitting on exercise ball 5lbs 2 x 10 reps
  • Lying on the floor, starting with elbows by my side, arms bent 90 degs, then pushing weight upwards against gravity, straightening the arm (modified front raise) 5lb 3 x 10 reps.
  • Reverse ab crunches 2 x 10 reps; Plank 35 sec hold
  • Stretching: hips/lower back, hamstrings and chest/pecs
I had a few niggles through my abs so didn't push them. I was aware of my right butt/hip structures but no real pain. I iced my right butt immediately after lunch and again at 3pm (by which point the pain had kicked in). I didn't feel totally wiped out through the afternoon/evening, which made a noticeable change. In fact, it was one of those occasions when I just knew that something had shifted for the better and I wasn't going to be as exhausted as I had been in the past. I had to take painkillers before bed for the right hip for a couple of nights and it's not been pain-free since.

My calves and foot arches were stiff the next few days from the running. Also the balls of my feet have seemed bruised/painful to walk on ever since (I deliberately didn't do any running/walking today to give that a chance to clear up).

So, today's set....
  • 5 mins exercise bike
  • Hip/lower back stretches
  • Glute bridges (10 secs hold) 3 reps then with 6kg dumbbell across hips 10 reps, 10 sec hold
  • Press ups (plus) (at 45 deg angle) 2 x 8 reps
  • Hip adduction/abduction/extension using red theraband (2 x 12 reps)
  • Tricep extensions using cable/rope 6kg 10 reps, 8kg 10 reps
  • Seated rows 8kg 10 reps (kept arms extended so just worked scapular muscles), 10 kg 2 x 10 reps.
  • Wobble board 4 mins (5 squats)
  • Trunk twist using cable weights 4kg 2 x 12 reps 
  • Chest fly with cable (2kg 2 x 10 reps, 4kg 10 reps)
  • Combo lateral/front shoulder raises whilst sitting on exercise ball 5lbs 10 reps, 3kg 10 reps
  • Lying on the floor, starting with elbows by my side, arms bent 90 degs, then pushing weight upwards against gravity, straightening the arm (modified front raise) 3kgs 3 x 10 reps.
  • Ab crunch machine 2x10 reps (15kg); Reverse abs 2 x 10 reps, sit ups 2 x 10 reps, Plank 2 x 35 sec hold
  • Stretching: hips/lower back, hamstrings and chest/pecs

Today, I stuck to weights work really. Upped the weight/reps on the seated rows, trunk twists, chest fly, lateral/front raises and did a bit more work on my abs/core. Didn't want to do too much cardio/high impact stuff because of the right hip structures. I nearly didn't go at all today as I felt kinda tired and washed out this morning.

I can feel the tiredness/sleepiness coming on....happy to do nothing this afternoon/evening....right hip already beginning to hurt....the ball of my right foot feels bruised/very painful to walk on. No idea why - didn't do any running/impact work today - maybe connected to right hip structures?...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.