Wednesday 19 January 2011

More Waxwings, Same Problems

The sun put in a rare appearance on Sunday, 9th January, and I took the opportunity to try to get some decent pictures of Waxwings. To my surprise and utter excitement, I came upon a flock of about 40, not 2 minutes from the house, feeding on berries on a local roundabout. I parked up, jumped out of the car and had about 2 minutes with this group before they flew off North to other feeding grounds. It was a magical moment, bathed in sunshine and I got the best photos so far of these beautiful Scandinavian visitors.

In terms of rehab, I'm still managing the same problems. The LHS lower back tightness/pain still bothers me almost daily. The right upper thigh/groin tightness/ache is fairly constant, with referred pain in my right foot, which has been there for months now. I guess it's an irritated nerve?. I also re-injured my right, deep, abdominal muscles a few weeks ago and they're twingey and painful as well.

However, I do think the strengthening work at the hospital gym is helping. I suspect I need to keep focusing on my hip strength (esp glutes) and keep up the hip adduction, abduction and extension strengthening. It was my last hospital gym session yesterday. I completed the following (in 45 mins):

5 mins exercise bike
10 glute bridges (10 sec holds)
2 x 10 reps press-ups (45 deg angle)
2 x 10 reps hip adduction, abduction, extension (red theraband)
2.5 x 10 reps leg extensions (5 kg)
3 x 10 reps leg press (25kg, 34kg, 43kg)
2 x 10 reps steps ups
1.5 x 10 reps bicep curls
4 mins wobble board
2 mins exercise ball
40 straight arms 'up and over'

I made sure I kept stretching out my LHS lower back and didn't have any problems with it last night, which is encouraging. I've iced my right abs this morning.

I'm not quite sure yet how I'm going to organise the next few months. I'd like to get back to swimming but I also recognise that the gym work is important too. Perhaps I'll do 2 weeks in the gym, 1 in the pool and alternate like that? We'll see. I need to explore the local gyms and see if they have what I need and how much each visit is going to cost.

Tired today after the gym work yesterday. It's a good job the Australian Open is on the telly....
.....Come on Andy Murray!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.